Friday, October 15, 2010

"Couples Bonding" With the Master: Bringing us Closer, One Injury at a Time

In an effort to force us to get along, the Doctor decided to persuade the Master and I to go to a trust workshop. I realize now that I should have set it up myself rather than allow the Doctor to organize it. Little did I know that he would become confused and sign us up for a "Couples Therapy" Workshop, where we spent eighty minutes "learning to understand each other." We did such activities as trust falls, where the Master (surprisingly) caught me several times before allowing me to fall, saying, "It's trust falls, isn't it?" (I would like to mention here that I caught him every time.) Another activity involved putting our hands around one anothers throats. I was unable to let the Master do this (for obvious reasons) although he remained perfectly calm while I held his neck. I was mildly tempted to throttle him, but decided against it. We also participated in a game where we passed a ball back and forth while asking questions. While I tried to use the questions to get to know the Master better, he used the question to learn such things as, "What is your greatest weakness?" "Can you swim well?" and "Do you have any potentially fatal allergies?" He also asked some more personal questions, which I will not disclose. When I posed a question to the Master about why majority of his evil plots did not seem to work, he took a long pause, then threw the ball at my face, yelling, "I'm making progress, okay?!?!" I managed to deflect most of these blows. He also did this to the workshop leader when she politely asked how we were doing.
When I made a point that stumped him, he would take a moment to think before throwing the ball at my stomach, screaming, "I hate you!!" I was less successful in defending myself against these.
Overall, the day was only a partial success. Neither the Master nor I are any closer or more trusting, although I now know a little more than I'd like to about the relationship between the Master and the Doctor.
In one instance, I threw a ball that was too high for the Master to catch. I made a joke about my question having "flown over his head." In retaliation, he threw it at my stomach, shouting, "I hate you!" After having caught the ball and throwing it back, my foot mysteriously slipped out from beneath me, resulting in a spectacular fall. I suspect the Master had something to do with this.
I returned to the lab with a broken ankle, a sprained wrist and a very bruised stomach. The Master returned with a scraped forehead and a black eye. I believe such injury would have been preventable had the workshops leader not been scared away after telling the Master to stop muttering about "The occult of Nigel taking over and killing you all." The Master flipped out when she referred to me as his wife and threatened her with Time Lord babble, resulting in what I believe is permanent trauma for the poor woman.

11 comments:

  1. Oh no Sophie that sounds horrible! don't worry I'll take care of you while your wrist and ankle heal! AS SOON AS I SEE THAT MASTER...WELL HE BETTER WATCH OUT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Jack, you are so sweet!
    No, no don't worry--the fall was probably my fault anyway. The ankle isn't a big deal and the wrist should heal quickly. And the bruising isn't that bad--I just can't breathe in too much and I'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay good but that master still needs to be dealt with! Do you think you will be okay for Saturday? I can come over to your place and cook for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be lovely, Jack, thank you. That's very sweet of you! You don't have to cook though, I can do that much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes but with your wrist it might be hard! We can make an evening of it though, cook togethor then eat :) I insist that you don't strain it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An excellent idea!
    If you insist, 'Doctor Harkness'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it was a good attempt. I'm sorry about his anger issues Sophie, I think they developed while he was in a fob watch... He used to be so laid back.
    Well, I'd say the Master catching you is some sort of progress, and I'm sure you'll have to work together quite a bit in the Amazon, which we will be leaving for after you've healed, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It wasn't that bad of a break, it should be about 6-8 weeks. Sorry to delay the trip, but technically, it's the Masters fault.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOU TWO. HUMANS. GET AWAY FROM EACH OTHER. THAT'S DISGUSTING!

    ReplyDelete